Monday, August 03, 2009

Upgrades

I bought my computer last year and it's amazing how prices for hardware has dropped.

Last year, I spent about $260 for a 19" monitor. One of these monitors now costs about $130 in Japan. A 500 GB hard drive ran me about $80 last year and this year, I can get 1 TB for about $70.

It's amazing how quickly prices fall. It's ironic how quickly the price of computer hardware drops but yet there are incredible opportunities if this hardware could be put to good use. The average person out there doesn't even come close to making 50% continual utilization of their PC.

I've decided to buy 2, 1 TB hard drives and a TV tuner for my PC. I'll be using it to record Japanese TV shows for when I want to watch them. Going to be trying to improve my Japanese by watching some TV and finally getting myself immersed in the culture. I haven't owned or watched TV regularly for the past 5 years. I've gotten used to it... but it comes at a cost: I tend to be out of touch with the average joe over here.

I'm going to have to understand these people so I'm breaking down and going to try and watch some TV and see what happens.

No comments: