Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Some web hosts aren't all that good

A while back, I tried out iPage for some web hosting to see what it was like to run a site from a remote server. I was pretty dissatisfied with the result since the sight was really slow all the time. I didn't do much with it other than just use the site to keep online notes. Sort of a like a Dropbox on the go. Expiration for the service ends this month for me and with the cost to keep them as a host, I decided that it was better off ending my contract and moving on.

I have since started playing around with running my own little box as a host. It's rather cheap and fast on the local net. Still working with pointing domain names around and learning how to access the site from outside my LAN as I am playing around with nginx instead of the standard Apache.

Learning Linux administration stuff is kind of fun too.. couple that with some web programming it could possibly be an interesting adventure. Perhaps I could launch a service in the future? We shall see.

No comments: