Tuesday, November 01, 2011

To get good at the stock market, spend time away from it

The stock market right now is one big drama and generally it is usually the people that spend the most time watching dramas are the ones that get the most emotionally involved and start losing money. I made that mistake once before in 2008, just waiting for the perfect time to catch the bottom and doubled up on it because every motion up and down seemed huge to me and when the stock market dropped once in October, I thought "this is it" and it really was "it" for me with a gaping hole in my trading account.

Gone are those days and I've gotten better. To be honest, I think the market in general is on tilt, to use a poker term and it is probably best to leave the table as it is and take a drink while the players sort themselves out. Because really, when everyone is playing weird, you just simply can't control risk (even if you are making logical plays).

I'll admit that I had a few of the equities that I held before the crash over the summer drop by 50% percent. There were people out there talking about being glad that they got out and them going on about how much better it was for them to get out early. Some of those tragically massacred equities I held came back to nearly their original prices and I somewhat regretted not putting some more cash into the market. I can't expect to trade with 20/20 foresight and I'll take the bad with the good.

Sure I am a bit down from the market haywire but I am happy to bide my time, earn money from work and wait. More importantly, instead of waiting, have other things to do :)

No comments: