Monday, September 26, 2011

Is Facebook killing blogs?

One thing I've noticed recently is that I am far more spontaneous when posting pictures and updates to Facebook as opposed to writing on the blog. Uploading pictures to Facebook is dirt easy, albums are automatically created and linked to my profile and it is quite easy to make short posts while on the go. That and compared to the blogging medium, one may have to upload pictures to a separate site, then add comments and then link back to the blog. It's the multi-step work that is a certain killjoy to me.

I've tried blogging while on the go (on places like the train) but found that doing things like looking up multiple webpages, adding links and doing basic editing (like moving a few paragraphs around) to be quite cumbersome compared to writing short status updates.

Which brings me to the point that I believe that traditional blogs are dying out compared to posing things on the fly as smart phones become the norm. The vast majority of my friends have since stopped updating their blogs and mainly post news only on Facebook, which has been the trend for quite some time.

What will happen to blogs in the future, I am not entirely sure. Perhaps one day there might be a big enough backlash against Facebook that people may return to realm of blogging. Who really knows. I for one will continue to write, and actually make a point of spending more time posting to the blog compared to writing on Facebook. Perhaps the next best thing is stronger integration into (out of?) Facebook through blogs.

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot of original content on Facebook anyways and much of my best thinking happens while doing "real" writing.

No comments: