Sunday, February 28, 2010

Mascarpone meat balls

The nice thing about using a bicycle is that it is easier to part in the city compared to a scooter and I've been visiting the nicer grocery stores which are a little ways off from where I live to pick up some better (and cheaper!) ingredients for cooking.

I found a great recipe for meatballs using ricotta cheese. Unfortunately I couldn't find ricotta cheese and substituted it for marscapone cheese instead. The recipe calls for ground beef, parsley (and plenty of it), diced and slightly fried onions with garlic, bread crumbs, an egg and salt and pepper to taste.


The meat balls made at first doesn't look like the most appetizing thing in the world as they look very gooey at first, however the point of the cheese is to keep the meatballs damp and moist after cooking. I can tell you that the cheese did an excellent job of doing that.

After frying the meat balls in olive oil and soaking out the oil with tissue paper, I dumped in 2 chopped tomatoes and added a little tomato sauce for some extra kick which led to the following.


Now those look like great meatballs. The cooking process took about 20~30 minutes and good care is required when flipping these meat balls at first as they seemed a little easy to break. But after being cooked through thoroughly, they hold together quite nicely. After that, I just had to put them over some spaghetti and I was good for dinner.


The image was a little blurry since I was more interested in eating dinner than taking photos. But those were the most juicy meatballs I've ever had. Something I'll make time to do again.

No comments: