Thursday, June 04, 2009

Revolutionary ideas never come from managers

Be forewarned that my quality of writing and my ability to summarize ideas has gone to the shitter as of late. I haven't been doing much writing of late, nor have I had much time to really think my thoughts through as of recent. The other thing is that there aren't a whole lot of people in my current surroundings that I can have a in depth conversation which is usually a great way for me to really hash out my ideas... but anyways... with my excuses aside. I'll just try my best to hobble through this...

Managers lacking ideas

Revolutionary ideas or products never come from the management level. Think of every revolutionary product or service that was brought into existence. The company that was formed around those ideas generally consists of 2 kids working in a garage working together to realize a dream. Something beautiful, something they would love... and in turn something that everyone would also love.

It's as simple as that.

Managers don't have ideas... they're actually disparate for them

Being so far removed from the real work and managing people, managers are the least likely people to understand the fine details when it comes to something like, say, hardware. They don't touch the stuff anymore, nor do they see the stuff in action.

I've known managers really do is set lofty project goals. For instance, say, let's double the memory density of some chips within the next year... but how we are going to do it? Well that's everyone else's job.

This is how I've seen our project managed so far. Let's make bigger, or smaller, or brighter or faster. We want this done by next year, now get to work.

We have no idea if this is realistic and the grunts like myself are often flung of into some wild goose chase to put something together to appease the managers. It's pretty much as simple as that... it also sort of appalling. Is this honestly the best that they can do!? That is the wrong way of running a project, especially if you want to make something new.

Knowing what you want to build and knowing how to do it

With enough knowledge and skill you'll know the limitations of what you're doing and what you need to do to get the desired outcome. The most successful projects I've seen are run by people with the right kinds of technical ability to pull things off with the right group of people. They know what they want to put together and how they're going to do it and they don't need damn long meetings to report to "higher ups".

Anyways... I am going to give up for today with the writing.. it's frankly shit and I can't summarize anything well. There is actually, a lot of things that I want to say and there are a lot of connections that I want to make.. but I just can't seem to organize my thoughts or have the flow down right.

Practice, practice, practice... I guess...

Critical thinking skills do go dull if you stop using them. I've put my brain on hiatus for too long. Gotta resharpen my mind...

No comments: